Wednesday 6 August 2014

Cyrillic alphabet

When first learning Russian the idea of learning a whole new alphabet can seem daunting. Actually it's easier than it looks, although I've found the cursive version of the letters harder to learn.

 

There are plenty of resources on the web for learning the Cyrillic script. You could try here or one of the many youtube videos . I have found this book helpful. The good news is a lot of Russian words are phonetic, so you can 'sound them out'. Of course there are exceptions to every 'rule', and I have found that Russian speakers sometimes pronounce sounds/letters/words differently depending on which part of Russia they are from.

So, I've been reacquainting myself with the alphabet (and some of the rules) over the last few days, as well as continuing to practising that elusive rolling r!

No comments:

Post a Comment