Thursday 8 January 2015

#Add1Challenge!

Ok. So, I had decided I wouldn't do any of the (many) language challenges that are starting this month. Until I changed my mind!



I was feeling a bit defeated and unmotivated, and not sure where to go (as I mentioned in my last post).
At first I thought this meant I shouldn't take on any of the challenges as it would just add to that feeling. Then I started to watch the Add1 videos on youtube, people who were applying for this year and who had taken part the last few times around, and I started to get really excited about taking part!

There is a fee to join this challenge, but luckily for me I have a birthday this month so I could use that to fund it. I filled in the forms, made the video and tried not to keep checking my email to see if I'd been accepted! The video was actually the hardest part for me. I have never made a video, so I had to enlist the help of my 12 year old! I was quite nervous making it (actually there were several attempts), but it's actually already boosted my confidence that I can make a video (even though I cringe looking at and hearing myself!) and put it on youtube.

So, I was accepted (yay!), and will be taking part in the hope of improving my Russian and in particular getting over my fear of speaking. My reward at the end of it will be (hopefully), to be able to speak Russian a bit (lot?) better than now, go for a meal in one of the Russian restaurants in London, and to begin my Dutch language learning journey in May!

If you want to join us please click here!


2 comments:

  1. Hi, Emma. I wished you luck over at my site, but I wanted to drop an extra note of encouragement. I think it's great you're doing the Add1 challenge. I'll be the first to admit that it can be tough finding motivation, so doing whatever you can to keep going is important. What I like from this challenge is that you're interacting with other speakers of the language to make the language come alive, and other language learners to help you know you're not alone. I'm really interested in following your progress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ron. That's very kind of you. I'm so happy to have you following my journey :) ...The encouragement makes a huge difference to me.The official start is tomorrow, but I'll be updating with a day 0 video later on!

      Delete